Go Back   EAA Chapter 105 forums > Main forums > Fly-out destination reports

Old 05-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
BruceEicher

Smile Columbia CA O22 Camping

Hey fellow members,
Katie and I are flying down to Columbia CA to chase some sunshine this Memorial weekend. We just got off the phone with the FBO, sounds like there should be no problem with space to camp, first come first serve, but they have no large groups planned this weekend...
Maybe some of you have visited this field. It is a recommendation on any forum, great flight sights, camping with bathrooms and hot showers just off the grass strip, paved runway also. The town is a preserved old gold mine town to explore and lots of places to eat, all an easy walk.

http://http://www.funplacestofly.com...ils.asp?id=172

Join us, or check back later for a report.

Last edited by BruceEicher; 05-20-2013 at 01:08 PM.
BruceEicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
BruceEicher

Default trip report

We sneaked out of UAO at 6:00am Saturday, flew at 5500 to 7500 feet picking through scattered skies.

GIB (Girl In Back) Katie "HulaGirl"

DIBs (Dogs In Back) Hanna and Maui sleep most of the time when flying, but get excited when I power down for descents and landing cause they know we are getting close!

Mt Shasta

Lake Shasta, with my GIB looking over my shoulder.

Last edited by BruceEicher; 06-01-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
BruceEicher

Default Report page 2

At O22 you have both paved or grass strips. Looking from the end of 11 to the left behind the two parked panes is the camp under the trees. Avoid taxiing on the dry rough grass by back taxiing on the green strip. Or if you use the hard runway, taxi on the gravel taxiway to camping, watch for large rocks with low wheel pants. HulaGirl made it just fine.

You are close to your plane from most of the camp sites with tables, or plenty of room further into the trees. Many camp under the wings too. Flushing bathrooms with hot showers to the left of photo too.

Katie crashes with beer in hammock after easy 3 hour flight.

Across the airport and across the highway is a gas station for food, cooler, ice and drinks including liquor. I made margaritas with no plans on flying the next day. The preserved gold rush town of Columbia is one mile, easy walk, but there is a shuttle service advertised at the camp too. Lots to do, see, and eat....
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
BruceEicher

Default Trip report final page

I held the dogs while Katie went into the saloon for takeout. They told us to bring the dogs in. So we all sat at the bar. Yes they are old enough, in dog years! Only in the Wild West

Maui and Hana can't wait to go back!

Beale AFB 0 to 4100 ft airspace ceilings. We planned Red Bluff as a waypoint to avoid military airspace.

Return trip home we used 4500ft at first, the made our way up as high as 16,500 to get over most clouds, still turned a few times to stay away from some higher. Then we dropped down through at Roseburg to fly at 2000 ft under full overcast the rest of the way north.
Mt. Shasta between layers.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
BruceEicher

Default 2014 we plan on doing it again

If weather looks good, VFR...we will fly down Saturday and back Monday, Memorial Day Weekend. Join us if you would like.
Up date 5-5-14... A group of about ten aircampers type club will be there. But the camp will fit 30...
Some California RVers plan on making it again this year.

Last edited by BruceEicher; 05-19-2014 at 05:19 PM.