Go Back   EAA Chapter 105 forums > Main forums > RV-12 Builders Group

Old 04-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
ErichKeane

Bob and Jon had to hold up on the trim tabs because we didn't have enough primer, so they started on the tail cone. Rich, Paul and I started on the Stabilator.

Here is Rich and me deburring the stabilator while Bob plays with tail cone parts:

Day 6: (~ 4 man hours)

Sorry, no pictures, but Paul and I spent a few hours today getting a little work done. Paul started on the trim servo box, and I continued on the stabilator. I was able to get about 1/3 of the way through the section!
ErichKeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
ErichKeane

Another week down, no idea how many hours. I wasn't around during the week, and no one else was able to show up today, but a ton of work got done:

While I was gone, Paul built this great shelf for our completed parts and our parts. It'll be extremely useful to us and is already clearing up our storage space! Lets hope we can soon add some parts there!

Jon and a friend worked on the bulkheads during the week:

I started working on deburring the ribs and discovered this! ALL 6 of the front center ribs have severe cracks. You can see one in this picture here, at the top of the picture:
Old 04-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
ErichKeane

Continued....

I worked a bunch today and ended up deburring all the remaining ribs. Rich came by and picked up the broken ribs to be switched at Vans, and picked up a bunch of other parts to be deburred at home.

I also primed and riveted the ribs I deburred, getting us a pretty significant portion of the stabilator complete! Hopefully Monday get us close to getting the stabilator completed!

Finally, I test-fit the hinges, which we can torque down as soon as the rest of the ribs get riveted!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #14
ErichKeane

More pictures! I'm sorry that it took so long, I kept forgetting my camera and not having time to post. Heres the latest:

This is the stabilator about 1/2 done. By the end of the week, we were able to finish this and started on the tail cone! We've done nothing really but deburr the tail cone parts, but look forward to more and better pictures!

In addition, we got a delivery! We picked up the Wing-kit, so we have even more parts around!

Here are the wing ribs... a big box of deburring!

And the spars... giant (and heavy!) pieces:

And finally, all of the skins! There are a bunch of them. Note how we managed to use the oops-mistake version of the trim tab
Old 04-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #15
ErichKeane

The tailcone is coming together! Bob and I got a ton of work done on Wednesday, and Paul and I got some good work done last night!

Heres Bob standing next to the beginning of the tailcone, all clecoed up:

And another photo of the bottom skins clecoed to the bulkheads:

We then did a bunch of riveting on the bottom, and flipped the tailcone right-side-up. Here's Bob admiring our work:

Heeeres Erich!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #16
ErichKeane

Paul and I clecoed up two more skins! This is coming along pretty well:

We also ran the static system, stabilator strings and the trim wires. We were worried about chaffing of the trim wires, so we put some sticky foam over the metal:

Stay tuned for more! We should have this tailcone pretty well completed within the next few nights!
Old 04-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #17
ErichKeane

The tailcone is almost done! It is all buttoned up, 1 step left: replacing those clecos with rivets:

Old 04-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #18
ErichKeane

Though it doesn't seem like much, a bunch of work has happened since the last time I posted. We finished up the tailcone entirely, and put it aside! It is extremely exciting to have a whole kit finished. Here the tailcone sits, waiting to be riveted to a fuselage and feathers.

Next, we moved onto the wing spars. The majority of the main spars come assembled, but we riveted a few pieces to it. In addition, we finished the front and rear wing spars. Tomorrow we will be at the pancake breakfast and will be starting on wing ribs! It doesn't feel like we are far from getting these wings looking like airplane parts:

Old 05-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #19
ErichKeane

Ive been a little delinquent in posting pictures, so heres some good ones from Wednesday! We managed to finish the left wing skeleton!

Here's Bob behind a completed left wing skeleton!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #20
ErichKeane

Both wing skeletons are done, the wing wiring is all complete, and we clecoed up the first wing skin! This is going together quite quickly!

The wiring in the right wing... We prewired all the lighting so we won't have to use that string for a while.

Our first skin clecoed up, and both wings all skeletonized: